Moving House Tips with Brendan Hare Removals Victoria
Are you moving house locally within Ballarat? Are you moving house from Melbourne to Ballarat or Ballarat to Melbourne? Are you relocating interstate from Victoria to Queensland or from Queensland to Victoria? Moving house is known as one of the most stressful times in our lives. Brendan Hare Removals are professional removalists which take great pride in your goods/items and on our great customer service. Contact us via email or phone us on 03 5334 4490 or Phillip directly on 0409 533 444.
Two weeks before your move
- Phone 03 5334 4490 and book Brendan Hare Removals for your move or complete our online quote.
- If you are relocating interstate from Queensland to Victoria, ask us about our backloading rates.
- If you’re too busy to pack, we can do that for you – we provide a complete packing and unpacking service.
- Phone and order some cartons for your packing – part of the service.
- If packing yourself, start packing non-essential items and clothing and list the items packed on the outside of the box.
- Contact your electricity, gas and communication providers to arrange disconnection and reconnection of utilities, telephone, internet and pay-TV services at both addresses.
- Arrange for child care on the day of the move.
- Organise care for your pets on moving day and make necessary pet transport arrangements, you may need the services of a dog or cat boarding facilities or kennels – make sure your pets have tags with your mobile or new phone number on them.
- Update your insurance policies.
- Make a list of the items you want the removalist to move and any items you’ll be moving yourself.
- Start cleaning your home – inside cupboards, tops of cupboards.
- Arrange redirection of mail with Australia Post.
- Dispose of any hazardous waste in the correct manner (paint tins, garden chemicals etc.).
- Start planning meals around the contents of your freezer and pantry to empty them out before the move – and remember to defrost your freezer before moving it.
One week before your move
- Arrange for payment of all bills.
- Cancel local services such as newspapers, mowing service and other home delivery services.
- Confirm arrangements with utility companies.
- Put important documents such as passports and drivers’ licences in a safe place and keep all moving related documents together, it’s a good idea to photocopy them all in case the originals are misplaced.
- Time to finish packing – make sure all boxes are correctly labelled with contents and rooms.
- Return any library books and DVDs and pick up any dry cleaning.
- When you pack you will have done a fair bit of culling, do a run to the local second hand shop or op shop or drop it into a recycling bin.
- Take any rubbish to the nearest tip or transfer station.
- Pack up your computer keeping all cords and accessories together – pack it in the original box (if possible), otherwise wrap it in blankets and transport it carefully.
On the day of the move
- Give Brendan Hare Removals your list of items they are to move.
- Pack a survival kit for those first few hours in your new home such as tea or coffee, kettle, mugs and teaspoons, water bottle, snacks, milk, small first aid kit, toilet paper, a torch, spare light bulbs, paper towels and cleaning materials.
- Strip the beds and keep the linen in a separate box that travels with you so you can use them on the first night in your new home.
- Make sure the house you are moving from is clean. It might be worth hiring a cleaner to finish the scrubbing, vacuuming, wall cleaning etc.
- Disconnect remaining appliances – tape the cords to the side of the appliance to keep them together.
- Do one final check of your house as the removalists are loading your boxes.
- Have final payment ready for your removalist.
- Read the removalist document thoroughly before signing and save it for future reference.
- Stay home until the last item is packed and make an inspection of the van to check all your goods are loaded.
- Close and lock all the doors and windows.
- Make sure you have the keys to your new home with you.
- Carry valuables, personal items and important papers with you so they don’t get lost.